History Podcasts

Alfred Henry Lewis

Alfred Henry Lewis

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Alfred Henry Lewis, the son of Isaac Lewis, a carpenter, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on 20th January 1855. He qualified as a lawyer and by the age of 23 he was prosecuting attorney of Cleveland.

In 1881 Lewis decided to give up his legal work to become a journalist. This included being editor of the Mora County Pioneer in New Mexico and editor of the Las Vegas Optic. He moved to Kansas City where he contributed articles and short stories to the Kansas City Times.

In 1891 Lewis became a journalist in Washington and was employed as a staff reporter on the Chicago Times. Later he became editor of the Chicago Times-Herald. He also published his first book, Woolfville: Episodes of Cowboy Life (1893). Lewis also wrote about social issues. This included The Boss (1903) a story about the corruption of politics in New York City. He also wrote about this subject for Cosmopolitan Magazine. This included an attack on the International Harvester Company, asserting that the trust was killing competition and stifling invention.

In June, 1908, Lewis began a series of articles on USA's leading businessmen called the Owners of America (1908 - 1909). He explained how these men controlled the political process. For example, he argued that Thomas F. Ryan had complete political control over certain cities: "Mayors are his office-boys, governors come and go at his call. He possesses himself a party and selects a candidate for the presidency. Tammany Hall is a dog for his hunting, and he breaks city council to his money-will as folk break horses to harness".

Other articles by Lewis published in Cosmopolitan Magazine were A Trust in Agricultural Implements, April, 1905; The Trail of the Viper, April, 1911 and The Viper's Trail of Gold, May, 1911. Lewis also took a keen interest in the conservation of natural resources. In 1909 he wrote a series of articles about what was taking place in Alaska for Pearson's Magazine called The Betrayal of a Nation.

Alfred Henry Lewis died of intestinal problems on 23rd December 1914. Some of his stories were later turned into films. This included The Tenderfoot (1917), Tucson Jennie's Heart (1918), The Coming of Faro Nell (1918), Rose of Wolfville (1918), The Clients of Aaron Green (1918) and The Trials of Texas Thompson (1919).

What is he? Nothing! What has he done? Nothing! Who will remember him? No one! He is a weak, vain, troubled, unhappy, unrespected man. The country owes him nothing, for he has given it nothing. One day he will die; and his epitaph might truthfully be, "He publicly came to nothing, and privately came to grief."

Mayors are his office-boys, governors come and go at his call. Tammany Hall is a dog for his hunting, and he breaks city council to his money-will as folk break horses to harness

Decorative Publishers’ Bindings

During the 1800s publishers began looking for an economical way to produce books in large quantities. Cloth covers replaced leather, and case binding (where the text block and cover were produced separately and the cover was then attached with glue) became the norm. Although these bindings were economical, they were often ornately decorated with gold or silver stamping and illustrations that reflected not only the book’s subject matter, but also the artistic style of the day. Following are a few examples of decorative publisher’s bindings from Ohioana’s collection.

Alfred Henry Lewis was born in 1855 in Cleveland. After working as a prosecuting attorney he gave up law and became a journalist, working as a reporter for the Chicago Times and as editor of the Chicago Times-Herald. During his career Lewis published numerous magazine articles and short stories and a dozen novels. Wolfville was his first published book this 1897 edition was published by the Frederick A. Stokes Company and contains illustrations by Frederic Remington.

Paul Laurence Dunbar was born in 1872 in Dayton, where he was a classmate of Orville Wright. He wrote for Dayton community newspapers, published an African-American newsletter, and worked as an elevator operator while writing poetry. His work gained notice among literary figures including Indiana poet James Whitcomb Riley and Ohio-born novelist and Atlantic Monthly editor William Dean Howells. Dunbar eventually achieved international fame. Although he is best known for his poetry, he also wrote short stories, novels, plays, and songs. He died in Dayton in 1906.

This edition of Li’l’ Gal was published by Dodd, Mead and Co. in 1904. The cover and highly decorated interior pages were created by Margaret Armstrong you can see her initials at the base of the bouquet. Armstrong was one of several prominent women designers working in publishing during the late 1800s and early 1900s. She specialized in nature-inspired themes and worked on several of Dunbar’s books.

Finally, we have two books by William Dean Howells. Howells was born in 1837 in Martin’s Ferry, Ohio. His father was a newspaperman, and Howells often helped with typesetting and printing as a boy. In 1858 Howells began to work at the Ohio State Journal, where he wrote poetry and short stories. As a reward for writing a campaign biography of Abraham Lincoln, Howells was appointed U.S. consul in Venice, Italy in 1861. After his return he became editor of the The Atlantic Monthly in Boston. In this position he helped introduce new European and American Realist authors to American readers, and supported such writers as Paul Laurence Dunbar, Stephen Crane, and Mark Twain (with whom he formed a lifelong friendship). However, some of Howell’s most critically acclaimed books were written after he left The Atlantic, including his best-known work, The Rise of Silas Lapham. Howells wrote more than 40 novels and short story collections before his death in 1920.

The edition of Tuscan Cities above right was published in Boston by Ticknor and Company in 1886. The Daughter of the Storage, a collection of short stories and poems, was published by Harper & Brothers Publishers in 1916.

To see more decorative publishers’ bindings, visit Publishers’ Bindings Online, a joint project of The University of Alabama, University Libraries and the University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries.


The International History of Photography collection dates from 1885-1951 and comprises eleven vintage photographic prints by individuals considered to be master photographers. The prints in this collection were acquired and assembled by the Rubenstein library staff, in part to provide students the opportunity to view and study original works from the world's foremost photographers as well as to learn about the major formats, techniques, and genres of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Photographers whose prints are in the collection hail from Europe, Mexico, and the United States: Eugène Atget (printed by American photographer Berenice Abbot), Henri Cartier-Bresson, Alvin Langdon Coburn, Manuel Alvarez Bravo, F. Holland Day, Peter Henry Emerson, Lewis Hine, Aaron Siskind, Ralph Steiner, Alfred Stieglitz, and Minor White. The print by Eugène Atget, "Flower Man," was printed by well-known American photographer Berenice Abbot, who purchased part of Atget's negative archive in 1928.

Formats range from photogravures to gelatin silver prints, with the latter predominating all are black-and-white and are matted. Subjects include rural landscapes, individual and group portraits, architecture, and urban streetscapes. The prints are sized from 4.5 x 6.5 inches to approximately 9.5 x 13.5 inches, and are all matted.

Researchers must wear gloves when handling the prints. Prints should always be picked up and supported with two hands. The prints cannot be removed from the mats, but researchers may open the window mat to see the full print. The Archive of Documentary Arts Curator must be consulted prior to any display of the photographs.

Legends of America

Bat Masterson in the later years of his life.

Lawman, gunfighter, gambler and well-known Old West character, Bat Masterson was one of the very few who lived during the lawless days of the Old West who wasn’t there to make a name for himself, or to count the notches on his belt. He was actually a genuine and honest man, who didn’t have a reputation for violence, but, was loyal to the end, in defending his friends.

William Barclay Masterson was born on November 26, 1853, in Iberville County, Quebec, Canada. His father, Thomas Masterson was born in Canada and by occupation was a farmer. His mother, Catherine McGurk, was an immigrant of Ireland. Bat was the second child in a family of five brothers and two sisters. They were raised on farms in Quebec, New York, and Illinois, until they finally settled near Wichita, Kansas in 1871. During his boyhood years, he became an expert in the use of firearms and accompanied expeditions that went out to hunt buffalo.

In the Fall of 1871, 18-year-old Bat headed west to hunt buffalo along with his 19-year-old brother Ed. During this time, he camped with hunters working along the Salt Fork River in present Comanche and Barber Counties in Kansas and during visits to other buffalo hunting camps, the brothers met several men who would also become legends in western history, including Wyatt Earp, Billy Dixon, Tom Nixon, and “Prairie Dog” Dave Morrow.

The nickname “Bat” was given to him by his companions one day while out on one of these trips, the name coming from Baptiste Brown, or “Old Bat,” whose fame as a leader, hunter, and trapper was well known in the generation that preceded Masterson upon the Western stage.

In the summer of 1872, Bat and Ed worked on a construction crew that was expanding the Santa Fe Railroad to Colorado. That winter, they returned to buffalo hunting and were joined by their younger brother, Jim in their camp along Kiowa Creek southeast of Dodge City. In January 1873, the Masterson brothers gave up buffalo hunting. Bat remained in Dodge City, but his brothers returned to the family farm in Sedgwick County. However, Ed was soon back in Dodge, just the following month, and went to work in the Alhambra Saloon. Bat returned to buffalo hunting but, the number of buffalo were becoming fewer and fewer. By 1874, the vast numbers of buffalo roaming Kansas had been slaughtered, so many of the hunters moved south and west into what was hostile Indian Territory.

In response, several merchants from Dodge City, Kansas following the buffalo hunters south into the Texas Panhandle, established a large complex near the Fort Adobe ruins called Adobe Walls. The business included a corral and restaurant, with the primary purpose of serving the ever-increasing influx of buffalo hunters in the area. In April 1874 a second store was opened, soon followed by a saloon and blacksmith shop. By the end of spring, some 200-300 buffalo hunters roamed the area, and trade at Adobe Walls was booming.

However, several Indian tribes in the area correctly perceived the post and the buffalo hunting as a major threat to their existence and attacks were being made on some buffalo hunters. The hostile environment however, didn’t stop Adobe Walls saloon owner, James Hanrahan, from leading a party of Dodge City buffalo hunters, including Bat Masterson, southward on June 5, 1874. Along the way, a band of Cheyenne Indians ran off their cattle stock about 75 miles southwest of Dodge City. The hunters soon joined a wagon train en route to Adobe Walls, arriving just hours before the Indian attack, known as the Second Battle of Adobe Walls, took place.

Early in the morning of June 27, 1874, a combined force of some 700 Comanche, Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Arapaho warriors, led by Comanche Chief Quanah Parker and Isa-tai, attacked the buffalo camp. The 28 men, including Bat Masterson and Billy Dixon, took refuge in the two stores and the saloon. Despite being dramatically outnumbered, the hunters’ superior weapons repelled the Indian assault. After four days of continuous battle, about 100 men arrived to reinforce the post and the Indians soon retreated. While estimates vary as to the losses, as many as 70 Indians were killed and many others, including Parker, were wounded. The men at Adobe Walls suffered four fatalities.

In response to the incident at Adobe Walls, Colonel Nelson A. Miles was ordered to lead an expedition against the Indians of the Texas Panhandle in what would become known as the Red River War. Masterson joined the expedition as a civilian scout and a teamster working out of Fort Elliot in what was then called Sweetwater, Texas (now Mobeetie). However, the next spring he was back to buffalo hunting and spending time at his friend Charlie Rath’s store, located about five miles from the fort, which had become the “headquarters” for the buffalo hunters. He was also a frequent visitor to the many saloons in the area. By early 1876, he was working as a faro dealer in Henry Fleming’s Saloon.

On January 24th, he became embroiled in an argument with Sergeant Melvin A. King over a card game and a dance hall beauty named Mollie Brennan. The argument quickly led to gunplay and King was left dead. However, in the melee, King’s shot passed through Mollie Brennan’s body, killing her, and then hit Masterson in the pelvis. The injury caused Bat to walk with a limp for the rest of his life.

After he recovered, Masterson returned to Dodge City, Kansas where he became a lawman along with his friend Wyatt Earp under Ford County Sheriff, Charles Bassett. These were the years that Dodge City was known as a “wicked little town.” Cattle drives had replaced the buffalo hunters as longhorn cattle were driven up from Texas along the western branch of the Chisholm Trail to the railroad. For the next ten years, over 5 million head were driven on the trail into Dodge City.

In July 1877, Bat was appointed under-sheriff of Ford County under Sheriff Charlie Bassett. That very same month, his brother Ed Masterson became an assistant marshal in Dodge City.

Just a few months later, in October, Bat announced in the Dodge City Times that he was a candidate for sheriff of Ford County, stating:

“At the earnest request of many citizens of Ford County, I have consented to run for the office of sheriff, at the coming election in this county. While earnestly soliciting the suffrages of the people, I have no pledges to make, as pledges are usually considered, before election, to be mere clap-trap. I desire to say to the voting public that I am no politician and shall make no combinations that would be likely to, in anywise, hamper me in the discharge of the duties of the office, and, should I be elected, will put forth my best efforts to so discharge the duties of the office that those voting for me shall have no occasion to regret having done so. Respectfully, W. B. Masterson.”

The newspaper backed him up by printing:

“Mr. W. B. Masterson is on the track for sheriff. Bat is well known as a young man of nerve and coolness in cases of danger. He has served on the police force of this city, and also as undersheriff, and knows just how to gather in the sinners. He is well qualified to fill the office, and, if elected, will never shrink from danger.”

He was elected on November 6, 1877, with the newspaper stating: “Bat Masterson, is said to be cool, decisive, and a bad man with a pistol.”

Bat officially took the office of sheriff in January 1878 and wasted no time in putting his talents to work. On January 27, 1878, Dave Rudabaugh and four other men attempted to rob a train at Kinsley, Kansas Their robbery attempt was ineffectual and the bandits fled. On February 1st, Sheriff Bat Masterson led a posse, which included his brother, Ed Masterson, in pursuit of the would-be robbers. They captured two of them — Dave Rudabaugh and Edgar West, and the other two men were apprehended soon after.

On April 9, 1878, Ed Masterson, who had since become City Marshall, had disarmed a drunken cowboy by the name of Jack Wagner who was in violation of the town’s ordinance against carrying guns. After taking his gun, Ed starting walking away when Wagner produced another pistol and shot him. Although mortally wounded, Masterson was able to shoot back, hitting Wagner in the chest. Ed then walked across the street to George M. Hoover’s saloon, where he told the tale, before sinking to the floor. He was taken to his room, where he died 30 minutes later. Jack Wagner also died the next day. The Dodge City Council then appointed Charlie Bassett as city marshal and a few months later, appointed Wyatt Earp as Bassett’s assistant marshal.

On July 29, 1878, a cowboy named James “Spike” Kenedy attempted to shoot Mayor James H. Kelley. He was stopped from doing so by Marshal Bassett, was fined, and run out of town. However, the young man refused and was soon back in town and arrested again on a charge of being disorderly. After paying his fine, Kenedy was told by Marshal Bassett to get out of Dodge and stay out. But, Kenedy had not yet seen the end of the Dodge City lawmen.

In September, Bat and other area lawmen found themselves fighting a different enemy — the Cheyenne. The Northern Cheyenne Indians had been banished to a reservation in Oklahoma following the Battle of the Little Bighorn. However, they were not happy there as the hunting was sparse and the conditions miserable. In September 1878 about 350 Northern Cheyenne men, women, and children escaped the reservation and began to make there way back north. Along the way, they fought skirmishes and raided throughout western Kansas.

As the Cheyenne continued their trek northward the lawmen turned their attention back to Dodge City. On the early morning of October 4th two shots rang out, bringing officers running to determine the reason. When Assistant Marshal Wyatt Earp and policeman Jim Masterson responded to the gunshots, they found that the bullets had been fired through the front door of a small frame house usually occupied by Mayor James Kelley. However, Kelley was out of town and the shots intended for him actually killed a guest in the house — a 34-year-old woman named Dora Hand, who had been performing at the Lady Gay Saloon. Though no one actually saw who fired the shots, all were sure that it was the work of the cowardly James “Spike” Kenedy. The Dodge City Times noted: “the pistol shot was intended for the male occupant of the bed … who had been absent for several days. The bed, however, was occupied by the female lodger at the time of the shooting.”

That very day a posse was rounded up which included Marshal Charles E. Bassett, Assistant Marshal Wyatt Earp, soon-to-be-lawman Bill Tilghman, Sheriff Bat Masterson, and Deputy Sheriff William Duffey. They caught up with Kenedy at about 4:00 p.m. and bullets began to fly. Kenedy’s horse was shot from beneath him and the cowboy took a bullet that shattered his left arm. Kenedy was brought back to Dodge City. Kenedy was the son of a wealthy Texas cattle baron named Mifflin Kenedy, who soon rushed to Dodge City bringing with him a large amount of money.

When Kenedy went to trial, he was acquitted for lack of evidence and released. The Ford County Globe reported:

“Kenedy, the man who was arrested for the murder of Fannie Keenan (Dora Hand), was examined last week before Judge [R.G.] Cook and acquitted. His trial took place in the sheriff’s office, which was too small to admit spectators. We do not know what the evidence was or upon what grounds he was acquitted.”

Rumors abounded about a payoff and years later a historian would claim that Mifflin Kenedy had paid as much as a $25,000 “fee” to town founder Robert M. “Bob” Wright, a member at the time of the Kansas House of Representatives, and potentially monies paid to Bat Masterson and other Dodge City officials, to buy Spike’s acquittal.

The next year would also be eventful for Bat Masterson. In January 1879, Bat accepted an appointment as a deputy US Marshall and successfully arrested “Dutch” Henry Borne, one of the biggest horse thieves in the American West. On February 17, 1879, he was delegated to bring the Cheyenne prisoners who were imprisoned at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, to stand trial in Dodge City for depredations committed during the fall raid. The State of Kansas was charging them with 40 murders in what would later be identified as the last “Indian raid” in Kansas.

In March, the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad was in a major dispute with the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad over the right of way through the Royal Gorge in Colorado, and Bat Masterson was tasked with protecting the interests of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. Some sources even allege that the Santa Fe Railroad used its political influence to obtain a U.S. Marshal’s appointment for Masterson so he could legally defend their property. While lawyers argued the dispute in the court system, armed men hired by the Santa Fe Railroad took control of Rio Grande stations from Denver to Canon City, Colorado. With Bat in charge, he enlisted a number of well-known gunmen to assist him including Doc Holliday, “Dirty” Dave Rudabaugh, “Mysterious” Dave Mather, Ben Thompson, and about 70 others. Known as the “Royal Gorge War”, there was a great deal of legal maneuvering, and even threatened violence between rival gangs of railroad workers.

Bat’s men had great success through early June 1879, but, on June 10th, the courts ruled in favor of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad. County and city officers were tasked with driving out the Santa Fe Railroad’s gunmen. The Denver and Colorado Springs groups fell quickly. Bat’s headquarters in Pueblo, Colorado held out the longest, but, they too soon conceded defeat.

Bat then returned to Dodge City, where in November he ran for re-election in Ford County, Kansas but lost to George Hinkle. In January 1880, he left the sheriff’s office in Dodge City and made his way to Colorado where he spent some time gold prospecting, but, mostly gambling, dealing faro, and sports betting. He then spent some time in Kansas City before making his way to Tombstone, Arizona to work in the Oriental Saloon with Wyatt Earp in early 1881. In April 1881, he received word from a Dodge City friend that his brother James had been injured in a quarrel with the proprietor of the Lady Gay Dance Hall — a saloon operated by a man named Peacock and his barkeeper named Updegraff. He took the first train for Dodge City, got there at 11 a.m., and soon met Peacock and Updegraff, whom he invited to come shooting. During the fracas, which was participated in by friends on both sides, only one man was hurt, Mr. Updegraff, and he subsequently recovered. After the battle was over the mayor arrived on the scene with his Winchester rifle, and ordered Masterson to throw down his gun, which he did at the solicitation of his friends. He and James were both arrested, fined $5 and costs and asked to leave town. He was 27 years old and had just had his last gunfight.

Bat then made his way back to Colorado where he lived primarily as a professional gambler. He also spent a year as marshal of Trinidad, Colorado, as well as serving as Sheriff of South Pueblo, Colorado.

In 1883, he returned to Dodge City where he participated in a bloodless conflict to defend his friend Luke Short in what is known as the Dodge City Saloon War.

In 1888, Masterson was living in Denver, Colorado, where he dealt faro for “Big Ed” Chase at the Arcade gambling house. The same year, he was managing, and later purchased the Palace Variety Theater. There, he met an actress and singer named Emma Moulton, with whom he lived for several years and was reported that they married in November 1891 in Denver. The partnership was to survive until Bat’s death.

In 1892, he moved to the silver boomtown of Creede, Colorado, where he managed the Denver Exchange Club until the town was destroyed by fire. Afterward, he continued to travel in the boomtowns of the West, gambling and promoting prize fights and began writing a weekly sports column for George’s Weekly, a Denver newspaper. He also opened the Olympic Athletic Club in Denver to promote the sport of boxing.

In 1893 he went to New York City at the request of a former superintendent of police, Thomas Byrnes. At that time, a prominent New Yorker named George Gould had received a number of threatening letters. Byrnes suggested to the multi-millionaire that he needed the services of a bodyguard and suggested Bat Masterson. For eight months Bat shadowed Mr. Gould and hob-nobbed with the rich folks of New York until the letter writer was finally apprehended.

In 1902, Masterson moved to New York and was almost immediately arrested for conducting a crooked faro game and carrying a concealed weapon. For the next 20 years, he lived and worked within walking distance of Longacre Square (now Times Square.) In about 1904, he became a sportswriter for the New York Morning Telegraph. The next year, he was appointed as a U.S. Marshal for the Southern District of New York, which would last until 1909. During that same time, in 1907 and 1908 he wrote a series of articles for the short-lived Boston magazine, Human Life, about his old friends and adventures.

In 1910, Bat Masterson returned to Dodge City, Kansas one last time. He wrote in the Morning Telegraph, on July 31:

“In coming down the Arkansas Valley from Pueblo to Dodge…I could not help wondering at the marvelous change that had come over the country in the last twenty years. As I looked from the car window after reaching the Kansas line at Coolidge, I saw in all directions groves of trees, orchards, and fields bearing abundant crops of corn, wheat, and alfalfa… The idea that the plains of Western Kansas could ever be made fertile was something I had never dreamed of.”

On October 25, 1921, Bat Masterson died of a heart attack while working at his newspaper desk. At the age of 67, he collapsed at after penning his final column for the New York Morning Telegraph. He was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Bronx, New York.

Articles by Bat Masterson for Human Life, 1907-1908:

Kathy Weiser-Alexander talking about Masterson on “Gunslingers“, original air date August 2, 2015, on AHC.

Blackmar, Frank W. Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912
Ford County Kansas History
Kansas State Historical Society
Wandering Lizard

Military History

Lewis enlisted as Private 3rd Reinforcements 11th Battalion.
Embarked at Fremantle per HMAT &lsquoAscanius&rsquo A11 for Egypt 31.10.1914
Roll Rank Private.
Roll Unit 11th Infantry Bn. &lsquoC&rsquo Company AIF.
Lewis disembarked with his Battalion in Egypt. After a short period of intensive training, he embarked at Alexandria with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force (MEF) for Gallipoli 2.3.1915. He was taken on strength with his Unit at Gallipoli, to provide the covering force for the landing (AWM 11th Bn. ) Lewis developed influenza whilst on the Peninsula and was transferred to a Hospital Ship (HS) 15.5.1915. He rejoined unit. The 11th Battalion mounted the Australian Imperial Force&rsquos first raid against Turkish positions at Gaba Tepe on 23.5.1915 (AWM 11th Battalion). Lewis was wounded in action, receiving a gunshot wound to his stomach and chest 22.5.1915. He was transferred to 19th General Hospital in Alexandria 22.5.1915. As his condition improved, he was transferred to the Convalescent Depot at Mustapha 25.5.1915. He was admitted to the General Hospital at Alexandria for an unspecified reason 10.6.1915 and discharged to Duty 3.7.1915. Lewis was admitted to hospital at Heliopolis with chronic gastritis 29.7.1915. He convalesced at Helouan, however, was not felt to be fit enough for active service and was listed for return to Australia as an invalid 13.8.1915.
Embarked Suez per HMAT &lsquoThemistocles&rsquo for return to Australia 15.8.1915
Returned/Disembarked Fremantle 2.9.1915
Discharged 3.1.1916.
Final Rank Private 11th Infantry Battalion 3rd Brigade Australian Imperial Force (AIF)
Medical Condition Invalided.
Awards and Medals 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.
Photos HMAT 'Ascanius' 1914. Photographer E.L. Mitchell, photograph source AWM H16157
Australian Troops being towed ashore at Gallipoli. Photographer R.M. Bowman, photograph source AWM P2194.005
Troops in trenches at Gaba Tepe June 1917. Photographer H.C. Nott, photograph source AWM P02321.012
HMAT 'Themistocles' at Fremantle. Photographer unknown, photograph source AWM 304038

Information Source
AWM H16157. HMAT 'Ascanius' 1914. Photographer E.L. Mitchell, photograph sourced from the Pictorial Collection of the Australian War Memorial
AWM P2194.005. Australian Troops being towed ashore at Gallipoli. Photographer R.M. Bowman, photograph sourced from the Pictorial Collection of the Australian War Memorial
AWM P02321.012. Troops in trenches at Gaba Tepe June 1917. Photographer H.C. Nott, photograph sourced from the Pictorial Collection of the Australian War Memorial
AWM 304038. HMAT 'Themistocles' at Fremantle. Photographer unknown, photograph sourced from the Pictorial Colection of the Australian War Memorial
AWM Embarkation Roll Alfred Harry Lewis
AWM 11th Battalion
NAA: B2455, Lewis Alfred Harry
St Matthew&rsquos Honour Roll
Wise H. and Coy. Western Australian Post Office Directories. SLWA

? 3 Hill Street, Guildford. WA.

Associated Images

HMAT 'Ascanius' 1914. Photographer E.L. Mitchell, photograph source AWM H16157

Australian Troops being towed ashore at Gallipoli. Photographer R.M. Bowman, photograph source AWM P2194.005

Troops in trenches at Gaba Tepe June 1917. Photographer H.C. Nott, photograph source AWM P02321.012

HMAT Themistocles at Fremantle. Photographer unknown, photograph source AWM 304038

This Website and the information within has been put together by the Guildford Association as a record of the impact of WW1 on one town within Western Australia.

The Guildford Association
P.O. Box 115
Guildford 6935 W.A.



The Guildford Association would like to thank all those who have helped in carrying out the research for this site.

Alfred Henry Lewis

Born: January 20, 1855
Died: December 23, 1914

Ohio connection: Birth

The son of Isaac Lewis (a carpenter), Alfred Henry Lewis was born January 20, 1855, in Cleveland, Ohio. At the age of 23, Lewis was a prosecuting attorney for Cleveland but, in 1881, he decided to give up legal work to become a journalist. He was employed as a staff reporter for the Chicago Times and later became editor of the Chicago Times-Herald.

In 1893, Lewis’s first book, Wolfville: Episodes of Cowboy Life, was published. Other books followed including those of the Wolfville series: Wolfville Days Wolfville Nights and Wolfville Folks. Lewis also wrote numerous magazine articles and short stories concerning the social issues of his day. His articles and stories were published in noted magazines such as Cosmopolitan, Collier’s, Times, and Pearson’s Magazine.

Alfred Henry Lewis died on December 23, 1914. In his lifetime, he was a lawyer, an investigative journalist and editor, a novelist, and short story writer. His other publications include The Boss The President, A Novel An American Patrician The Sunset Trail The Throwback The Black Lion Inn Owners of America A Trust in Agricultural Implements and The trial of the Viper.

1910: Noted Author, Alfred Henry Lewis, Boosts Deming

When the great author, Alfred Henry Lewis, known from coast to coast and beloved by millions of admiring readers, visited Deming recently, the Graphic scored a ten strike by getting him to promise to contribute a brief story giving his impressions of this country, and when it is considered that he writes only for great publications at fabulous prices, we consider the complement to Deming very marked. Following is the story that will interest every person who loves the great southwest:

Complying with my promise to you while on a recent visit to Deming, I am sending a brief story conveying to you my impressions of your wonderful region. Many years ago I was a temporary resident of your "Sunshine Country" and am always delighted to have the privilege of breathing your health-giving ozone and quenching my thirst with the purest water I ever saw. If I remember correctly you told our party it was 99.98 pure. it is possible you might have mentioned it several time during our charming auto drive to your great irrigation pumping plants.

You have a right to be enthusiastic over your wonderful country. It's great. It's majestic. It's marvelous. It has a glorious future, which the intelligence of our country must recognize.

My further impressions may be briefly stated as follows:

Away down in the southwest corner of the new state of New Mexico is a sheltered valley of perhaps four hundred thousand acres of land made rich by the erosion of countless ages and vegetable decompositions. Mountain ranges on every side prevent serious storms of any kind and render year-round climatic conditions almost ideal.

An underground river seeping through the foothill sands of the north valley gives the entire area the purest water in the whole country. Hugh centrifugal pumps, run by gas or electricity, easily bring this water to the surface of mankind and make of the desert a garden that will produce anything in plant life.

It is a story that interests the human family, and the intelligent American citizenship that is fast peopling this region will make it an abiding place much to be desired.

Deming, the central city of this level fertile plain, known as the Mimbres Valley, is a modern American town that acts and believes in twentieth centruy oprogress. As an example, taxes were reently voted for an additional high school building, with training departmetns and special courses, and there was not a single adverse ballot.

The spirit of chivalry still remains in the Southwest, and with it has come a spirit of progress that wins.

Theodore Roosevelt on Setting the Right Example as a Man

“Every man here knows the temptations that beset all of us in this world. At times any man will slip. I do not expect perfection, but I do expect genuine and sincere effort toward being decent and cleanly in thought, in word, and in deed… I expect you to be strong. I would not respect you if you were not. I do not want to see Christianity professed only by weaklings I want to see it a moving spirit among men of strength. I do not expect you to lose one particle of your strength or courage by being decent.

There is always a tendency among very young men and among boys who are not quite young men as yet to think that to be wicked is rather smart to think it shows that they are men. Oh, how often you see some young fellow who boasts that he is going to ‘see life,’ meaning by that that he is going to see that part of life which it is a thousandfold better should remain unseen!

I ask that every man here constitute himself his brother’s keeper by setting an example to that younger brother which will prevent him from getting such a false estimate of life. Example is the most potent of all things. If any one of you in the presence of younger boys, and especially the younger people of our own family, misbehave yourself, if you use coarse and blasphemous language before them, you can be sure that these younger people will follow your example and not your precept…

I have told you that I wanted you not only to be decent, but to be strong. These boys will not admire virtue of a merely anaemic type. They believe in courage, in manliness. They admire those who have the quality of being brave, the quality of facing life as life should be faced, the quality that must stand at the root of good citizenship in peace or in war… I want to see each man able to hold his own in the rough life outside, and also, when he is at home, a good man, unselfish in dealing with wife, or mother, or children. Remember that the preaching does not count if it is not backed up by practice. There is no good in your preaching to your boys to be brave if you run away. There is no good in your preaching to them to tell the truth if you do not… We have a right to expect that in your own homes and among your own associates you will prove by your deeds that yours is not a lip-loyalty merely that you show in actual practice the faith that is in you.”

Teddy, speaking to the Holy Name Society at Oyster Bay, New York, on August 16th, 1903.

In his original compilation of Teddy’s speeches, Alfred Henry Lewis includes with this text the following worthwhile footnote:

President Roosevelt belongs to the Dutch Reformed Church. His freedom from religious prejudice, however, never fails to stick out. He would no more dream of quarreling with a man because he was a Methodist or a Catholic than he would of quarreling with a man in the car ahead or the car behind on a railway train because of the car he saw fit to travel in. There are many churches just as there are many cars in a train but he is as tolerant of one as of the other, since they are all going to the same place.

There’s also this old joke, which expresses, in so many words, something of Roosevelt’s point about the gap between preaching and practicing:

A man is driving his five year old to a friend’s house when another car races in front and cuts them off, nearly causing an accident. “Douchebag!” the father yells. A moment later he realizes the indiscretion, pulls over, and turns to face his son. “Your father just said a bad word,” he says. “I was angry at that driver, but that was no excuse for what I said. It was wrong. But just because I said it, it doesn’t make it right, and I don’t ever want to hear you saying it. Is that clear?” His son looks at him and says: “Too late, douchebag.”

Alfred Henry John Lewis (1916 - 1942)

Alfred was born in 1916 in Hobart, TAS, the eldest son of Alfred James and Annie Louisa Lewis.

He enlisted in the Australian Army Militia part time on 30 Jun 1932 at Hobart, TAS as a Sapper (49285) in the Australian Engineers serving with 36th Fortress Coy in Hobart. At the time he was single, an apprentice and was living with his father in Battery Point, TAS. He was 5 ft 10 in tall with fair complexion, grey eyes and fair hair.

He served part time until 02 Jan 1934 when he left the district.

He enlisted in the Australian Army Militia Permanent Forces in Hobart, TAS on 06 Jun 1939 for 5 years as a Gunner (4790, later TP4790) serving with 7th Heavy Battery, Hobart. At the time he was still single and living with his father in Hobart, TAS. He variously described himself as a labourer and as a storeman car driver.

On 13 Jun 1940 he was appointed as a Gun Laying Specialist. He was appointed U/ Lance Bombardier on 11 Dec 1940 but reverted to Gunner on 23 Dec 1940.

On 22 Feb 1941 he transferred to the Tropical Coastal Defence Unit and was appointed as Specialist Trade Group I the same day.

He probably embarked on the "Zealandia" in Sydney on 18 Apr 1941 for Rabaul, New Britain in the Territory of New Guinea, disembarking there on 26 Apr 1941 as part of "Lark Force" Royal Australian Artillery, Rabaul Heavy Battery, protecting the harbour.

He was admitted to the military hospital in Rabaul with malaria on 09 Jan 1942.

The battery was destroyed by Japanese bombing ahead of the invasion on 23 Jan 1942.

He was captured after the invasion at Kokopo hospital and became a Prisoner of War, initially held at Rabaul.

He died on board the "Montevideo Maru" when it was torpedoed and sunk off the coast of the Philippines on 01 Jul 1942, en route from Rabaul to Hainan where he was destined for forced labour.

The San Francisco examiner

Lincoln Day is made national holiday at 11th hour, only foresight of president in signing proclamation is advance saves history, held up by Senate fight, Roosevelt on his way to Hodgenville, Ky., to dedicate memorial at birthplace. -- Edict making Lincoln Day a national holiday [text of proclamation]. -- President will lead Lincoln dedication, Roosevelt to lay corner of Memorial Hall at martyr's birthplace, notable men to gather, every city in the country is preparing celebrations for centennial. -- Business stops in Lincoln' honor, memorial services for martyred president to-day in city and state. -- Little stories of Lincoln by his friends, Colonel Morrison and Senator Vorhees tell some new ones of great American, greatest of politicians, often turned the tables in crises and made speeches that really hurt / by Alfred Henry Lewis. -- Abraham Lincoln . his entrance into political life. -- Editorial page of The Examiner: Abraham Lincoln, On to Richmond with the "Lincoln Way," [illustration of Lincoln] / Robert Carter

Addeddate 2014-04-17 13:18:06.132231 Betterpdf true Call number 71200908520366 Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II External-identifier urn:oclc:record:1157197703 Foldoutcount 0 Identifier sanfranciscoexam1219lewi Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t3pv93v1s Invoice 56 Ocr ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Page-progression lr Pages 20 Ppi 500 Scandate 20140417135115 Scanner fold1.indiana.archive.org Scanningcenter indiana Source folio

Watch the video: International short stories online. The Man From Red Dog by Alfred Henry Lewis. Audiobook (August 2022).